Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Feathered forager



I'm afraid I've been lax about posting to the blog. Certainly the sightings have been on the decline, but I don't like to disappoint dedicated followers (whom I deeply appreciate, by the way), so here's a couple of shots taken on Monday, Nov. 15th.

As I was walking through the wooded area of the trail, I noticed something moving in the leaves. I assumed it was a squirrel, but upon closer inspection it turned out to be a White-throated Sparrow foraging in the leaf litter. It was acting just like a chicken would, scratching away the leaves with its feet, then searching in the soil for edibles. I watched it for several minutes, during which I noticed two other White-throats doing the same thing.

2 comments:

  1. Glad so see you're back after a short break. I love the photo of the White-throated Sparrow ... one of my favourite birds. Every spring I look forward to their identifiable call. Alice

    ReplyDelete
  2. I check most days for updates, and I am always happy to find new stuff. Not to say that you should post every day, just to let you know I appreciate what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete