Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Trees decked out in feathered finery



I heard this buzzy, trilly chorus soon after I got to the marsh this morning, which I discovered was coming from a flock of birds perched in the treetops. My first thought was starlings, but as I got closer I could see they were sporting crests. My next thought was cedar waxwings, although I thought it was a big flock for Cedars - there were some 130 birds in total. When I got home and got the photos into Photoshop, I discovered I had seen a flock of Bohemian Waxwings, a first for me. The Bohemians are chunkier than the Cedars, and their wingtips are more colorful, as seen in the lower shot above. Apparently Bohemians are irregular winter visitors to Nova Scotia. Their nomadic behavior led to their being named Bohemian.

No comments:

Post a Comment