Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Much ado about starting anew





What a difference a day makes. This morning large sections of the marsh were free of ice, and ducks were much in evidence, Buffleheads in the water and Black Ducks loafing on the islands. As I neared the first corner, I heard the sounds of geese, and sure enough, two flew in from the river and landed at the upper end. They were certainly making their presence known (especially the gander), and were answered by another pair on one of the long points of land. With much noise and to-do, the newly arrived pair proceeded to swim toward the round island where a pair has nested for several years now, so I assume it was the original pair.

Canada geese are among the first birds of the year to nest, so once again the cycle begins...

2 comments:

  1. Alice came out of her office humming "Lois is back, Lois is back..." (We had stopped checking our favorite blog daily).

    Good to have some disciplne return to our daily routines... And nice to see the French Basin again, ready to entertain for another season.

    I know this is a labour of love, Lois, but thanx for doing this...

    Art White

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to know my efforts are appreciated, Art. But you're right, it is a labour of love on my part; the marsh and its occupants inhabit a special place in my heart. The anticipation of discovering something new there every day keeps me young!

    ReplyDelete