Thursday, April 7, 2011

Creatures of habit



The great blue heron pair were back at the same spot this morning (I'm assuming they are one of each, but I could be wrong; apparently the only difference in appearance between the male & female is that the male is a little larger). I took the shot at the top when I was getting a little too close for their liking, and they were keeping a wary eye on me. In the bottom shot, they were joined by one of the pair of Canada geese now at the marsh.

I found the following on the N.S. Dept. of Natural Resources website: "For the most part in Nova Scotia great blue herons nest on isolated islands, but colonies sometimes are found in forested inland locations. They often travel considerable distances from their nesting sites to feeding areas." Hmm. Apparently nesting begins in April or May. I wonder where in the area these birds nest??

No comments:

Post a Comment