Sunday, June 19, 2011

Close call


This afternoon when I walked the trail, I stopped at the spot where I had previously seen the mallard female with five young. I was taking a shot of a painted turtle basking on a raft of old cattails, when suddenly off to my left a duck began quacking frantically. A dog had jumped in the water after her, and she was trying to distract it from her ducklings. I finally succeeded in getting the dog to come out of the water, and the mallard gathered up her little flock and moved out of harm's way. The whole time, there was no sign of the dog's owner. I have to say I was more than a little annoyed.

2 comments:

  1. We have just moved to the area, and are really enjoying the walk around the marsh. I am so glad you were there to protect the female mallard. We were thrilled to see a muskrat and a grass snake on our walk this week. Your photos are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jenn. I'm glad I happened to be at the right place at the right time. And always happy to hear that someone else is thrilled to see muskrats and grass snakes! Welcome to the area - and to the marsh.

    ReplyDelete