Saturday, August 13, 2011

It's a mystery to me


As I was walking through the wooded section of the trail this morning, I heard a noise, and looked to find the source of the sound. It was then I saw a squirrel at the base of a small tree carrying a big black something. It climbed the tree, trying to hold on to its burden, and I snapped this shot quickly before it disappeared into the trees. I still can't figure out what it was carrying, but I certainly have never seen anything like that before. Any guesses??

3 comments:

  1. Nesting material do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could be right. Apparently in Nova Scotia red squirrels have a second brood in August.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or a fungus or mushroom? Red Squirrels love them and cache them in relatively dry places like rotted stumps that sit above the ground a bit. I saw one carrying one once to such a place.

    ReplyDelete