Monday, November 28, 2011

Strutting their stuff




The hooded mergansers were in the same place today as they were yesterday, although today their number was up to fifteen.  I stood and watched them for a few minutes, snapped a few pictures, and then I saw the adult males (there were four of them) begin to act strangely, and I heard a weird sound coming from them.  I realized I was witnessing courtship display!  Their crests, composed completely of feathers, were raised high and they were contorting their heads and bodies in a myriad of positions.  As they did so, they emitted a frog-like growling sound.  I've never seen anything quite like that.  Here is some of what I witnessed.

1 comment:

  1. Hi This is Valerie Davies and I am just fascinated in the mergansers.
    I have been off my feet for a month - had my bunions removed and am unable to walk around the ponds. Thank you so much for bringing them to me via your marshwalker report. I hope I will be back walking by January.
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete