Saturday, April 14, 2012

A new partnership??

I found Mother Goose sitting on her nest yesterday, but didn't see Dad until I got to the other side of the trail and found him feeding on the bank.  As I approached he slipped into the water and swam over to join his mate.  I'm not absolutely sure it is the same gander, as he does not seem to keep as close to the goose as in previous years.  Also, he doesn't swim towards me when I talk to him, as the older bird usually did.  I thought last season he didn't appear to be as chipper as usual.  Perhaps something happened to him over the winter, and the goose took a new partner.  Or of course I could be completely wrong!  At any rate, by  mid-May we should be seeing a new crop of goslings.


I saw a male Northern Shoveler a few days ago, and have been hearing a Pied-billed Grebe, but no sightings as yet, as they're hidden in the phragmites.  And the Tree Swallows have arrived!  I had begun seeing clouds of midges in the last few days, so knew it wouldn't be long before the swallows made an appearance.  I hope to get some shots of them tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment