Sunday, June 24, 2012

A Sad Day at the Marsh

It is probably evident by now that the marsh and its inhabitants are very close to my heart.  My heart received a hard blow this morning when I learned of the senseless destruction that occurred there, presumably sometime last night.  Seven of the interpretive panels just installed this past week were torn out, bases & all, and thrown into the water; six of the tree-swallow nesting boxes were smashed and lying on the ground, two of which held nesting birds; all but one of the benches had been tossed into the marsh.  As I write this, the benches have been reset and three of the panels retrieved from the water, but four of them have not been located as of yet.  Nothing, of course, can be done to replace the nestlings.  




It's difficult to understand why people choose to damage & destroy public property of any kind, but I find it particularly heinous when it involves harm to wildlife.  Here's hoping that those responsible are found and brought to justice. 

2 comments:

  1. Why oh why ... It's so sad I just can't go there to see the destruction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, I happened upon your blog via Jeff/Kamile Langstaff's blog. Your pics and comments are so very interesting. I, personally, can't understand what goes thru somebody's brain, when they do something so mindless. I hope this doesn't ruin your enjoyment of such a beautiful walk in nature.

    ReplyDelete