Thursday, July 5, 2012

Raccoon encounter




Monday it was skunks. Tuesday it was raccoons.  I could hardly believe my eyes when I spotted these two little critters on the path that runs from St. Anthony Street across to Prince Albert Road, where it meets up with the French Basin Trail.  It's not usual to see raccoons in the daytime (or skunks, for that matter).  Whether this pair had lost their mother is hard to say - possibly she got stuck inside one of the composting bins behind the Legion, which wouldn't be the first time.  Anyway, I kept watching these little guys to see what they were up to - they appeared to be searching for grubs or what have you in the grass alongside the path - until they ventured to where I was standing and began to explore my foot!  When one of them started to climb my leg, I quickly removed myself.  That explains the startled looks on their faces in the last shot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment