Sunday, January 9, 2011

Feeding in the shallows



My apologies to faithful followers of this blog for no new postings since the New Year began. I have a bit of an excuse: I fell on an icy spot on the trail on Dec. 29th, so have been wary since then. Thankfully no damage to myself - or my camera.

I did walk the trail on New Year's day, which was sunny and mild. The marsh was all iced over, but I happened to notice a group of Black Ducks and Mallards in a shallow pool of water in the marsh grasses next to the inlet that flows into the French Basin. The inlet was filled with the foam that the wind sometimes blows in, which can be seen at the tops of the photos here. The shot at the top shows the ducks on alert when something caught their attention, after which they returned to feeding as seen in the bottom shot.

1 comment:

  1. So glad to see our back, as I sit at my computer here in my warm studio. The weather and ice hasn't been at all inviting, so praises to you to venture out and take these great photos .... plus your comments, esp. after your fall due to the ice.

    ReplyDelete