Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Dashed hopes




This morning it was still quite foggy around the marsh, but nice and calm. As I was walking along the path I spied a juvenile tree swallow perched on a Curly Dock stem at the water's edge. There were a number of adult swallows swooping about, catching insects on the wing. The above sequence is a great example of body language telling a story. In the top photo, the little fellow spotted me, but I'm sure had one eye on mom or dad swooping about. He suddenly lifted up and opened his beak wide, ready to be fed one of those juicy insects. Unfortunately, he was disappointed, and he settled back down on the stem, appearing rather downcast.

Just before entering the wooded section of the trail I caught a glimpse of what I believe was a mink with something, perhaps a mouse, in its jaws. It sped across the path and into the tall grass, too quickly for me to get a shot, darn.

No comments:

Post a Comment