Friday, June 18, 2010

Of Yellow Warblers



This morning as I was attempting to get a shot of a bee on a multiflora rose blossom, I noticed something fall through the leaves of a tree next to the rose bush. I immediately started hearing chipping sounds from a bird in the tree, and then from another bird which appeared. It was a pair of Yellow Warblers, and what had fallen was one of their young, which did a little peeping and then was silent (I got a glimpse of some yellow feathers at ground level). Mom and dad fluttered about between their willow tree and a gray birch across the path and continued to 'chip' away at me until I moved on (not before getting a few shots in, though). The male is the one with the heavily streaked breast above; the other is the female.

I made up my own 'translation' of this warbler's song -- to me it sounds like "Cyd, Cyd, Cyd Charisse". (Of course, probably only people as old as I am would recognize the name of that one-time dance partner of Fred Astaire . . .) Anyway, this sweet song is heard all around the marsh.

No comments:

Post a Comment