Sunday, September 26, 2010

Name that bird


I could use some help identifying this bird I saw this morning among a group of Yellow-rumped Warblers. I wasn't going to post the photo due to its poor quality, but I thought I'd take a chance that someone might be able to tell me if it might be a Pine Warbler. It's the closest I could come after studying my field guides. (I thought at first possibly a Palm Warbler, but they don't have wing bars.) Pine Warblers usually frequent pine trees, and this one was in a gray birch, however, apparently during migration they are also seen in deciduous trees. AND, my 1961 edition of Tufts' The Birds of Nova Scotia says that one was seen in Wolfville "on September 26, 1955, foraging with a small troop of Myrtles..." (Myrtle Warblers are the same as Yellow-rumps.) 55 years ago to the day! How coincidental. Unless, of course, I'm way out on a limb here (pun intended).

3 comments:

  1. Hi Lois - I'm sure this is an immature Blackpoll Warbler.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the i.d., Stu. I was thinking I wasn't going to get any help with this! I do have one slight problem with the possibility of its being a Blackpoll; apparently they have pale yellow legs, and this one seems to have darker ones. I was hoping to catch another sighting of the bird, but no luck, so it was likely just passing through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stu - I checked out some photos of both the Pine and immature Blackpolls online, and I think you are right. The Pine seems to have a dark, almost black bill, whereas the Blackpoll has a lighter one, as in my photo. Thanks again. Lois

    ReplyDelete