Friday, September 24, 2010

Standing out in the crowd


Since it was raining this morning, I didn't do my regular walk at the marsh - not because I didn't want to get wet, but because my camera isn't waterproof. However, a fellow marshwalker called about 9:30 a.m. (he doesn't carry a camera) to tell me that the Canada geese were still on the marsh (about 75 birds), along with their white counterpart. (A white goose has been seen in the company of our resident population, although not by me up till now.) Figuring that the geese could be leaving the marsh any moment, I donned my rain gear, grabbed my camera, drove to the marsh, hurried to the viewing stand - and got this shot. Lady luck was with me, as within three minutes of my arrival they had all taken off for the river. Now I'm hoping someone can tell me what kind of a goose that is. Is it a Snow Goose?? Apparently it is not unheard of for a Snow Goose to be traveling with Canada geese here in the province.

2 comments:

  1. Lois, it's most likely a snow goose (white phase), even though its black primary feathers are not visible. They're often found in the company of Canadas. Good sighting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im gonna say escaped from barnyard! Note orange leg Snows have pink legs.

    ReplyDelete