Saturday, July 23, 2011

Late nester




This is where I could have used the video function on my camera. This morning I decided I'd take a closer look at the little crab apple tree that surrounds one of the tree swallow nesting boxes. I had assumed that nesting was long past, so was surprised to see a tree swallow fly out when I approached, and then heard the unmistakable cries of baby birds coming from the box. Tree swallows only produce one brood per season, and here it is late July and these haven't fledged yet! I decided to focus my camera on the box entrance and wait for the adult to return (both sexes feed the young). It wasn't long before it did (top photo); it then looked at me (middle photo); entered the box (bottom photo); Continued in next panel....

No comments:

Post a Comment