Wednesday, July 13, 2011

They know a good thing when they've found it



I had to check last evening to see if the owls were in the same spot. Sure enough, as I walked into the wooded area of the trail, I soon heard the soft, scratchy scree-e-e call made by the juveniles. They were perched in a spruce tree on the edge of the marsh. The shot at the top is of one of them, obviously irritated by me (its ear tufts flattened). Just before taking this shot, I saw the bird regurgitate a pellet. These pellets are made up of undigested fur, feathers and bones. The bird was in the midst of a call when I took the photo. Its sibling was on the other side of the tree's trunk.

The pair's mother, with drooping wings which is common behavior in hot weather, is shown in the bottom shot. She had moved to this snag from an earlier perch. When I was 'shooting' her, I heard something in the bushes behind me - it was another photographer, with a classy set-up, including monopod!

No comments:

Post a Comment