Saturday, July 2, 2011

A woodpecker chase on Canada Day



Yesterday, Canada Day, was a glorious day for a walk around the marsh. I was coming up short for photo opportunities, however, until I entered the wooded section of the trail. I first heard the telltale tap, tap, tap of a woodpecker, and when I finally located it I discovered there were two birds working the tree. In addition to the tapping, I could also hear a fairly loud squeaky, squealing sound coming from them. When I tried getting close enough to get a shot, they flew further into the trees, so I had to work around and come up to them from a different angle. It was while I was watching them at this location that I noticed one of the birds feeding the other one. Then I realized that it was an adult and a juvenile, and it was the juvenile that was doing the squealing - begging for food! I had to follow them to another spot before I could get any decent shots. The photo at the top shows a female hairy, with her offspring waiting for the pickings at the bottom. The lower shot is of the juvenile by itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment