Monday, July 11, 2011

Nature's raw side



Well, this is something I never imagined I'd see at the marsh. I knew that there was a pair of great horned owls that had nested in the early spring and raised two owlets here in town, not far from the marsh, and had been hearing of sightings ever since. It shouldn't have come as a surprise that they would find the wildlife at the marsh fair game - after all, they are exclusively meat eaters - and ducks, geese and songbirds are on their menu. It was my son (with his camera) who hit the marsh before me this morning who discovered the owls in a pine tree near the water, and called them to my attention when I arrived. While watching the two in the top photo, we heard the high, scratchy reeek of a juvenile great horned, and sure enough, there it was in a pine close by (bottom photo). These are magnificent birds, I just wish they hadn't picked the marsh for their hunting grounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment