Saturday, July 10, 2010

Alien invasion


Today was a good day for ducks, but not for cameras, and I doubted whether I'd get any photo-taking done at the marsh. However, during one clear patch, I ventured forth and got in a few shots before the rain began again and I had to put my camera under wraps.

I thought I'd call your attention to an attractive shrub that is found all around the marsh called Glossy Buckthorn, which is among a list of plants labeled invasive species. It is not native to North America, and has no natural enemies here, so it has the potential to crowd out native plants. It favours moist, fertile soil, so the marsh is ideal habitat for it to flourish. Seedlings of all sizes border the trail in the wooded section. Why not pull a few each time you pass through?

No comments:

Post a Comment