Friday, July 23, 2010

Ducks galore



I didn't get to the marsh at my usual time yesterday due to the weather; instead, I went between 5 & 6 p.m. I was pleasantly surprised at the number of young families I saw, plus many adult ducks busily feeding, in contrast to what I've seen lately on my morning walks. Perhaps the birds have been resting during the heat of the day and returning to the open water to feed when it's cooler. (Maybe I need to change my walk times??)

Two families I saw are pictured above. The top photo is of a new Ring-necked duck family; the bottom is of four Northern Shovelers of a group of eight. I was most excited about seeing them, as this was the first Shoveler family I'd seen this summer. Their large bills make them easy to identify. (Sorry for the poor quality, but they were quite far out on the water.)

No comments:

Post a Comment