Friday, July 23, 2010

Face-off


Last evening I witnessed something new to me in Pied-billed grebe behaviour. I happened to be watching four young grebes when I heard some splashing off to one side. When I looked to see what the commotion was, I saw two adult grebes in a face to face encounter, bodies raised out of the water and splashing the water with their wings. They then settled back down but still faced each other, with their heads raised and black throat patches distended, as in the photo above. Reading up on grebe behaviour, I learned what I witnessed was an example of a territorial display. Apparently one had encroached on the other's territory!

In my reading, I also learned that Pied-billed grebe numbers are declining in New England: in New Hampshire they are classified as endangered; in Massachusetts as threatened; in Vermont as "of special concern"; and in Rhode Island as locally extinct. One of the biggest reasons for the decline is wetland degradation and loss. We here in Annapolis Royal are indeed fortunate to have a wetland that provides ideal habitat for this little charmer.

1 comment:

  1. Along with the marvelous photos I'm thoroughly enjoying the good information you've been adding, just as you've done today with the Pied-billed grebe and Mallard. You make marsh watching so easy from my desk chair, especialy on rainy days. I do get to the Marsh every so often, so I may see you there, and yes, I'll be very quiet so as not to disturb the subject of your photo shoot.

    ReplyDelete