Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Mission accomplished



The red squirrels were busy and vocal at the marsh this morning. I first noticed the three shallow holes at the base of a pine tree, shown in the top photo. The hole in front has two pine cones in it, obviously the work of a squirrel. When I started to take a picture of the holes, the squirrel appeared on the tree trunk - with a sprig of rose hips in its mouth. Now, I'm standing no more than six feet from the tree at this point. Poor Reddy, he didn't quite know what to do. First he dropped the rose hips on the ground near the holes, and then ran back up the tree. I thought perhaps he intended to bury the rose hips as well, but didn't because of my presence. But then he came back down the trunk, picked up the rose hips (bottom photo above), went back up the tree to a branch, and proceeded to eat the rose hips. When he finished the last one, he wiped his mouth on the branch, and moved off in the tree canopy.

No comments:

Post a Comment