Friday, October 1, 2010

A rare sighting


I was checking out the spot where the Wood Ducks hide out again this morning, hoping the noise of the strong winds would hide my approach. Foiled again, although this time there were only a few Black Ducks that flew off. However, I happened to notice a bird-like shape, larger than a songbird, in the tall grasses off to the side. When I checked it out with my binoculars, I happily discovered it was a Sora rail! I've never seen one this late in the year, although I don't think it is too late for them to still be here. Apparently they aren't heard much after mid-summer (and rarely seen), so it is difficult to tell just when they migrate. I used the 'poster edges' filter again to sharpen the edges, as it was difficult to focus on the bird among all the brush.

No comments:

Post a Comment