Thursday, October 14, 2010

Rare encounter




I observed something at the marsh this morning that probably not too many people have seen in the wild. While watching a pair of Green-winged Teals swim around clumps of grass just before the spot where the wooded section begins, I happened to see something move into the water, which at first glance I assumed was a muskrat. Then it climbed up on a fallen dead tree right in front of me, and I could tell it was a mink! While I watched - and kept snapping shots - it rubbed its body on the tree trunk for awhile, scratched itself, then settled down to sleep in the sun. It was disturbed by another itch and began scratching again. At this time, I made a little noise to get its attention - and a face-on shot - then it jumped off into the water.

The diet of mink includes frogs, ducklings, song birds, small mammals, and fish - and mink are major predators of muskrats, so personally I hope this one is just visiting!

3 comments:

  1. Rare encounter,indeed,Lois. The only mink I've met "in the wild" was in my chicken coop perched on the throat of my prize rooster. So you can add that to its menu of frogs and muskrat... My mink ended up on the wall, a bit less humane than your wonderful photos.

    Art White, President
    Anna-Marsh Walker Fan Club

    ReplyDelete
  2. TERRIFIC!! :You are so alert and observing to find these lesser seen fauna.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen mink once in Norfolk, Uk. They were some white babies playing on the path just in front of usd. Very sweet, but they can be real killers on the local wild life. These are wonderful shots you have taken, lucky you were quick with your camera!

    ReplyDelete