Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Return of the geese


I was on my way out of the marsh late this afternoon when I heard the sound of geese honking, and it wasn't long before I saw 16 of them in "V" formation, flying from the river into the marsh. I hurried back to the viewing stand to get a shot of them out on the water, as it had been several weeks since I had seen them.

I just read in our local paper, with some trepidation, that this year the season for goose hunting has been expanded; in addition to the usual season, from Oct 1st to Dec 31st in our zone, the period from Sept 7th to the 17th has been added. However, geese can only be hunted on farmland. I know that in some areas the Canada geese population has become a problem, requiring measures to reduce their numbers. It's just hard for me to accept that birds I have watched grow up may end up in someone's oven!

No comments:

Post a Comment