Sunday, August 22, 2010

You go, girl!



Yes, I know its stretching things a bit to include this in a blog on wildlife, but I think you'll agree that this "rig" is certainly wild (and that is a seagull on top of that pole to the left). I saw it sitting on the wharf almost across from my house this morning, grabbed my camera, and headed over to get some pictures. I discovered a website address painted on the side of the van, and checked it out. It is owned by Michelle Kaiser from Nanaimo, British Columbia, who styles herself as The Gypsy Mermaid, and her vehicle is her caravan. Well, I tried to find out why she happened to be here in Annapolis Royal. No one I asked seemed to know. Then, voila, while waiting at the Paint the Town silent auction this afternoon, who should I see but the lady herself (it was hard to miss her in that short can-can skirt) . So, I posed my question. It seems she has been on the road for a year (after selling her restaurant and all her worldly possessions in B.C.); traveled down the west coast, spent the winter in Texas, then headed up the east coast, crossing into Canada just a few days ago. She happened to be on Brier Island (Digby Neck) when she heard about the Paint the Town weekend here. What a great idea, she thought, to spend the weekend with artsy people. She would fit right in! Oh, and did I tell you, she is the founder and executive director of the ARTCAR Society of Canada?? If you're interested you can check out photos & videos of her trip on Facebook. Just search for Gypsy Mermaid.

No comments:

Post a Comment